Saturday, August 9, 2008

Olympics Hoopla - Lovin' It

I LOVE the Olympics! I wait patiently for the Summer Olympics every 4 years and am awed at what the Games symbolize for us as a global community.

If you didn't catch the opening ceremony last night - you missed out, big time! This was probably the best opening ceremony I have ever seen. What made it even more special was the fact that it was so special to the Chinese people - a country so steeped in tradition, history, and secrecy - it was amazing. No matter your political beliefs, it was a magnificent spectacle and has definitely placed China on display and in the middle of the global stage.

I have a special place in my heart for athletics - I played sports in school (some badly, like basketball) and learned so much about healthy competition and how to loose gracefully. The most important lesson I learned is there will always be someone better than you but it doesn't mean you can just give up, you just have to work harder. It is also a sad day for me - this Olympics brings to a close Women's Softball (unless it's picked up for the 2012 London Games). Bummer - what a great sport.

Here's to the athletes of the world....you inspire us!! I can't wait to watch...

Take care!!!

No comments: